Thursday 9 February 2012

Would you like to know more?

A couple of years ago, I had this thought rattling around in my head for Guards painted up (and perhaps mildly converted) to resemble the Mobile Infantry (MI) from Starship Troopers.  I just love those films, they are so wacky and tongue-in-cheek and I used to watch them while painting quite a bit.  I posted about this a while back, and although not thinking it was the most original of ideas, it definitely got a bit of attention and I just couldn't resist making them up.

I started off with a smallish elites force of guard, Raszcek's Roughnecks, and when I can, would still like to expand into the 3rd MI division in keeping with the film.  It'll probably be a mostly un-mechanised army although that'll change given time I'm sure, and I've got ideas for some light conversions to be done to Valkyries to make them resemble the landers from the films. 


As a tester, I picked up a box of Cadian guardsmen and timed how long it took me to remove the skirt bit on the legs. About an hour for the 10 guys which is an acceptable amount of time, especially as I'm petty fastidious about removing mould lines anyway so its not a big increase in the time it takes me to build a squad.


You can see what I was able to come up with in the above picture from before I moved.  I've got about 4 1/2 assembled at this stage and they are starting to look at least close to the part.

I'll be posting up what I managed with the rest before I shelved this project - I've still got the bits, but there are other projects that are much higher on my list - maybe one day I'll return to this as I did like the idea, but not for a while at least.

Finally, here's some close-ups of a few of the troops as requested by Drax when I first posted this


2 comments:

  1. Great to see, thanks.

    It's funny, as I started to read I was thinking, 'Hey - I remember this...'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, its a shameful re-post of the content from my other blog, but I'm not able to keep them both going, so plan to consolidate all my stuff into the one blog. Coupled with "life etc" giving me precious little time, its a good filler to keep up the posting schedule.

    Hopefully actual new content might follow soon

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...